Sunday, July 6, 2008

Taimongs - Juvenile Tails

Hi David,

Re your last Tai Mong you bought, can i know how long is the tail now?

As I had seen 1 which lookalike your current ones with the tail which is curve near the end and is very active.

How do you tell if the tail of the Tai Mong will have a better chance to grow long?

Usually Tai Mong's tail is about 4", right?



The average length of the wild taimong's tails are about 4" to 4 3/4". My wild taimong last year had tails of 5 1/2". I hoped that the tails would exceed 9" after the first molt but they were only 7" or 7 1/2".

On the other hand, I know that the tails of my taimongs after the first molt will likely well exceed 10" regardless of the length of its taimong tails. Last year, I had 6 taimong males whose tails varied from 5" to 6 1/4". The 2 with 6 1/4" tails had 13" tails after the first molt. The 5.6" taimong also had 13" tails. The 3 remaining taimongs had tails of 10 1/4", 11" and 11 1/4"after the first molt.

My experience suggests that if a wild taimong has short tails of say 4 to 4 3/4", the adult tails will almost certainly be in the region of 6" to 7". Even if the wild taimong has relatively long tails, its adult tails may still be short. The long tails of the wild taimong do not guarantee long tails in the adult.

No comments:

Post a Comment