Monday, November 10, 2008

Red-whiskered Bulbul - New Nest, 10 Nov. 2008

On 4th October, I reported that the pair of bulbuls was moulting after their first nest of 1 chick. At Michael's request, I kept the pair with the view of continuing to breed them for him after the moult.

The moult was completed towards the end of October as I could tell from their new feathers and from their calls. These were becoming louder and more challenging.

At the beginning of this month, I returned their cup nest with the old nesting material still in it. I also placed new nesting material on the floor of the aviary as I expected from my experience with shamas that the bulbuls would want to mend the nest. Nothing happened. Then last Saturday, my helper reported that the female was on the nest in the morning. The female was again on the nest yesterday morning and this morning. Late this evening, she went onto the nest. I expect she has commenced to brood.

From my experience with the first nest, if the eggs are fertile, they should hatch about 11 days from now. I will update.

No comments:

Post a Comment