Friday, September 27, 2013

Recent correspondence with Andy Doan

Hi David,

Today, I visited your blog and see that you are active again.  That is very wonderful to me! Really enjoyed watching your videos as well as pix of all your birds.  Those videos and pix make me enjoy my hobby that much more.  

While I was reading your blog I ran across one of your article as a response to Sean who lives in Arizona. Anyway, I don't know this person nor did he ever buy any of my birds. About two to three weeks ago he did email me wanting to buy an adult male shama from me.  But none was available. We did exchange a few email as regards how to take better care of his shamas.  I also emailed him one of your emails that you had written to me many years ago and that was it.

This is what I read on your blog..........I just want to clear something with you.  Also lately here there is a scam of which someone mention my name........saying I have long tailed shamas for sale at $ 400 each.  Just sent the moneys and I will ship the bird. Good thing one of my friends asked me before he took action.  

Best regards,


Wednesday, August 14, 2013
9 August 2013

Dear mr. David,

My name is Sean. I’m from Arizona, USA. I have 2 male shamas that i bought from Andy Doan in California.  After their 3rd moult,  they don’t sing as much and as loud anymore. Should I get a female shama for them?  

I’m feeding them insectivoir Mazuri,  superworms and crickets everyday.   Do u think they might lack of vitamins?  What kind and brand of vitamin should i give it to them and where can i find them? Can i have the website?

My biggest problem is taking care of the tail.  they are in biggest bamboo cage and taking a bath every couple days.  Doesn’t matter what kind of food I’m feeding them,  their tails never look good and healthy.  I’m so depressed.  Can u please help me?  I’d appreciate it.
Thanks,
Sean

14 August 2013



Hi Sean,

I have corresponded with Andy over very many years.  I think he has some of the best shamas in the USA.  You should be happy with the birds from him.

The shama in captivity will be in his prime when he is about 4 years of age.  He should therefore be approaching his prime after the 3rd moult and should be singing and displaying better than ever.  The drop in the performance of your birds could be due to several factors.  I will list some of them so that you can see if any are likely to apply to your birds:

*  The diet may be lacking in vitamins and other supplements. I would think that Mazuri, superworms and crickets is not likely to meet all the nutritional needs of the shama.  It is advisable to give a multi-vitamin supplement with very high doses of vitamin B.  Nowadays, I use the Energy Revitalization System that I purchase from iherb.com.  I add this to the dry food.

* Shamas require some oil in their diet.  I add extra virgin palm oil or cod liver oil or vitamin E oil or extra virgin coconut oil to the dry food.  These can all be purchased from iherb.com. Without oil the feathers, including the tails, tend to be dry and brittle.

* In the home, the shamas should be kept separate so that they are not within sight of each other.  I try to keep them at least 10 feet apart.

* They should be offered a bath daily and at least once every 2 days.  Bathing keeps the feathers clean and assists in feather growth during the moult.

* Do not expose them to prolonged light during the night.  If you go to bed late, cover the cages with a cloth.

It is not feasble to give detailed advice by correspondence.  You may wish to refer to my blog where the needs of the shama are considered in greater detail.  If you know Andy, he will be the best person to assist you.

Best regards,

David


Description: https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/images/cleardot.gif
Description: https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/images/cleardot.gif
Description: https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/images/cleardot.gif

Description: https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/images/cleardot.gif
Hi Andy,

It's great to be in communication with you again.  There are many fraudsters around and they also offer birds from my videos and photos for sale or claim that the birds are theirs.

Best regards,

David

Hi David,

You're right many fraudsters around.  This made me remember a few years ago I was in Vietnam for family vacation.  When I had free time I had friends drive me around town visiting different pets shop.  While I was there I asked each owner if they knew of anyone willing to sell their long tailed shamas (tails at least 26 cm and up).  A few offered me pix and a short video.  You know what, all are your birds.....they must have downloaded it from the internet.

At the moment I am still breeding shamas and have added hwamei to the list.  Quite busy as I have my first baby boy to take care.  From your videos and reading your blog you are beyond creating a strain.  Your birds are breathtaking as always.  Here I am still at the beginning it seems.  Still breeding Slick with Pretty Lady as I really want their chicks for myself.....this year they gave me 4 chicks, two males and two females.  Through out the years they produce a good numbers of chicks but I was busy with this and that......did not keep much of their chicks.  As of today I only have two adult male from them which is Magic and Flash and two adult female.  

Best regards,

Andy


Hi Andy,

Thank you for your generous praise although I don't deserve it.  I still have much to learn. 

My photos, videos and name have been used often without my knowledge or permission, by people to sell their birds or non-existent birds.  There was even a shop in Singapore that had a photo of Ballet Dancer in his shop window a few years back, that he claimed belonged to a friend who was breeding from it and offering the chicks for sale. 

Congratulations on your baby boy.  I know how busy a father can get.

Slick has a marvellous voice.  I still remember the video of him that you recorded for the cyber competition in the Malaysian Shama Forum.  I think he had the best voice of the birds entered for the competition.  Indeed, he has one of the best shama voices ever.

Have you visited Jeffrey Low's blog at http://jeffctlow.blogspot.sg/.  He is successfully breeding directly from my line of birds (both male and female).  He is very knowledgeable about shamas and I have much to learn from him.

Best regards,

David

1 comment:

  1. Hello David,
    I am looking for one of these exotic birds. Please let me know who, where to get one. I live in Orange County, CA.
    My email: phamd99@yahoo. Thanks

    ReplyDelete