Monday, February 16, 2015

Prime, DDS292

Falcon's son, Prime (DDS292).  He is 5 1/2 months old and just completing his molt.


I don't have a problem with my shamas being too tame but I can have a problem with my captive bred shamas being too wild if measures are not taken to keep them tame.

After the young males are weaned, I keep them in cages so that they can get used to people and being handled in the cage.  During this time, they are taught to bathe in the bath cage.

When the juveniles are about to molt, I transfer them to the garden aviaries.  While in the aviaries, I occasionally throw some live food on the floor when I visit them.  This helps to keep them tame but not over-friendly to people which is something I do not want.

After the molt, when I transfer the young birds back to cages, they remember what they have learnt and it is no problem getting them to bathe in the bath cage.

If the birds are initially reluctant to enter the bath cage, they can be coaxed to do so by having a few crickets swimming in the water. Their desire to catch the crickets soon overcomes their hesitation to enter the bath cage.

No comments:

Post a Comment